Our Classes: What to Expect
Course Description ( Download Syllabus )
- To create a well functioning teamwork relationship between the three unit team: handler, child and service dog
- For handlers to understand how to use their service dog in the ways that they were specifically trained to help their partner
- To equip the handler with the knowledge needed to utilize their service dog and to incorporate the training process into their lifestyle as they return home
Class Times (class times, morning/afternoon sessions subject to change.)
- Class will be split up into morning and afternoon sessions.
- Lunch is generally between 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Afternoon sessions will be held either at the center or a secondary location – you will be notified of the location on the preceding day.
- Class will be in session EVERY DAY, including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
Each day we will have a packet of material to take home with you. Included in the packet is what we went over that day, supplemental learning material, and “homework”. Class can be busy, but we ask that you make practice in the evening a priority – the more you practice the higher your competency will be in handling your service dog.
Public Access Test
At the end of class we will do the public access test. Completion of this test will certify you and your service dog to work as a team in public. Through your participation, you will be sufficiently prepared for the test due to the number of times that we will be practicing in public situations and preparing at the training center. We ask that you refrain from taking your service dog in public until we go as a group, so that the trainers can support you and answer your questions during that time. After our first public outing, you will be given permission to, and encouraged, to take your service dog into public as much as feasibly possible. The more you practice in public, the more confident you will feel.
Other Training Locations
- Some afternoons we will be practicing in public at the Fairfield Commons Mall.
- In the morning we will be practicing the tracking skills in local parks, you will be notified on the preceding day which park we will be going to. All parks are within 15 minutes of the 4 Paws Training Center.
Private Training Periods
During the class we will have morning times available before class starts to work one on one with a trainer. If you feel that you would benefit from the additional assistance, please let us know and we would be happy to work with you.
Class Participation and Attendance
- Your presence and participation during class is extremely important and required by 4 Paws. Please be sure to ask questions, and actively listen during discussion periods. If something does not make sense, please let us know.
- To be a successful handler you need to be present to learn the material, punctuality is very important. Please be in the classroom and ready to learn at the designated time. If you wish to let your service dog exercise first in the designated area, please plan your schedule accordingly.
Training Center Location
4 Paws Training Center
207 Dayton Ave., Xenia, Ohio 45385
4 Paws Training Center Hours
The 4 Paws Center is open to clients from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day of the week. You are welcome to come during this time and exercise your service dog in the designated area or to practice in the training area.
Items Available to Clients
You can ask a 4 Paws Staff member to assist you with the following items…
- We have padded mats, that the kids are welcome to use while they are on the floor
- We have games, movies, and toys available to the kids, these are in the blue cabinet
- Play area – the kids are welcome to spend their time in the inside play area adjacent to the training area. Additionally, we have an outside play area that they can use which has a swing set, play sets, a trampoline, and riding toys. If your child is using these areas, at the end of the day we appreciate your assistance keeping them clean and organized.
- We have a dog bathing area which you are welcome to use
- You are welcome to use the kitchen (stove, microwave, and refrigerator)