Christian is a sweet ten-year-old boy who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum disorder when he was three. Christian has a love for life, his laugh is contagious, and his smile lights up the room. He loves all things nostalgic and has an enormous VHS collection. He loves John Wayne movies, classic cars, and trains.
Hope in a Service Dog
Christian has made much progress through his therapies, but there is still so much that is overwhelming for him. The tasks that his dog will be trained to help him with will be life changing for Christian, in and out of the home.
Some of the things that Christian’s dog will be able to do for him:
· Improve his sleep at night by sleeping with him
· Provide behavioral interventions when Christian is exhibiting repetitive or self-injurious behaviors
· Assist in easing transitions
· Comfort him when he is overwhelmed
· Offer a chance to practice responsibility
· Perform deep pressure by lying across his lap when he gets upset
· Prevent wandering while out in public by being tethered to Christian
· Be his friend
· Become a social bridge
How the Community Can Help
It costs 4 Paws for Ability between $40,000 – $60,000 to train and properly place each service dog. Its funding model is partial payment for services so 4 Paws covers most of the cost; the family is responsible for a service fee of $17,000.
Donations can be made via credit card or check:
· Credit card donations can be made directly to 4 Paws via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/donate/728047834724973/
or over the phone at 4 Paws by calling 937-374-0385 Monday through Friday 9 AM to 4 PM EST.
· Checks can be made payable to 4 Paws for Ability with Christian Stevenson on the memo line and mailed to 4 Paws for Ability, 207 Dayton Ave., Xenia, OH 45385