Help Bo Get a Christmas Miracle
Our Get Bo a Buddy Campaign (#getboabuddy) is an Autism/FASD Service Dog fundraiser for Bonita, who goes by Bo. Bo is an intelligent, funny, and spunky 11 year old who is a unique soul that brings creativity and kindness into the world.
Bo was adopted at 3 years old and was soon after diagnosed with Autism and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FASD). Bo struggles daily to navigate a world that is not easily understood, and gets anxious and overwhelmed easily.
Bo lives with her mom and two siblings who are also neurodiverse in a loving home with a multitude of supports. But, the one missing support that could help Bo at home, school, and in the community is a Service Dog trained just for Bo's needs through 4 Paws for Ability.
An Autism/FASD Service dog can help Bo in the following ways:
· help with sleep by sleeping in the bed and providing sensory input
· help prevent meltdowns by disrupting repetitive behaviors, anxiety, and self-injurious responses through sensory input and attention
· when a meltdown does happen the dog can help soothe Bo and support the transition back to a safe activity
· help bridge social interactions with peers and adults who may not understand Bo's neurodiversity and be a reliable friend to Bo
· help Bo develop life skills and leadership responsibilities by taking care of the dog
· help the family more successfully participate in family events and community activities by providing Bo a one-on-one support